Children today have access to a variety of electronic devices. Most of these gadgets are geared towards portable entertainment. Oftentimes, parents or the people around the child are not interested in hearing or experiencing the sounds coming from the device keeping the child entertained. Headphones become an almost necessary accessory.
Deciding upon a pair of headphones for a child is as much about looks, durability, and cost as it is knowing how the headphones will impact the child’s hearing is important. It is very important to research and learn about the best headphones for kids.
Things to Consider When Looking for Kids’ Headphones
- Volume Limits. Most children like their entertainment loud and exciting. It’s easy to damage ones hearing, and even easier to miss the warning signs of damage – we just keep turning the sound up. Many auditory health organizations recommend a maximum noise level of 85 decibels (dB). It has been shown that a dB in excess of 85 for even short periods of time can result in hearing loss. Many of the best headphones for kids allow for control of volume limits to prevent damage to the ear, even when the sound is turned up to it’s highest levels.
- Noise Reduction. It can be distracting when people are talking or making noise while you are listening to music or watching a video. The first reaction to this extra sound is to turn the volume up, drowning out the unwanted noise. Children are especially prone to this. Noise reduction keeps outside noise from interfering (similar to baby headphones) with the headset’s sound, eliminating the need to turn the volume up to dangerous levels. It also keeps the sounds from the headphones from leaking out and disturbing the people around the listener.
- Comfortable Fit. A child’s head and ears are smaller than adults, therefore, they require a smaller headset. Kids’ headphones should feature an easily adjustable band with padded cups that fit snugly on the ears without slipping or pinching.
- Kid Friendly Design. Children like bright colors and eye-catching designs. They are also rough with things – dropping them, stepping on them, scratching them. The best headphones will be durable, colorful, and feature recognizable characters or designs.
- Price. Because children are often rough with their belongings and more than likely will view the headset as a toy, it is important to get the most out of the headphones for the money spent. Finding something that will last, is of high quality, and still looks fun enough for a kid to want to use it is a challenge.
A Guide to the Best Headphones for Kids
Below is a list of the top headphones for kids based on volume limits, noise reduction, comfort, design and price.
Top 3 Choices of Headphones for Kids
The LilGadgets Untangled Pro Children’s Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by LilGadgets are the highest rated headphone sets for children.
The most appealing feature is the lack of cord to get tangled, allowing wirefree entertainment. Compatible with almost any Bluetooth device, the wireless headset has a ten hour battery life when fully charged. A USB charging cable is included, as well as a 3.5 mm cable for listening to the headphones in the old fashioned way.
Covered with LilGadet’s specifically designed SoftTouch breathable mesh, the earpads and headband provide longwearing, non-slip comfort. These headphones were designed with kids in mind, and were tested for durability, style and comfort by children. The buttons are located on the left ear piece for ease of control; a microphone in the bottom of the right ear piece provides great sound quality calling for use with cell phones and computers. A microfiber bag is included in the packaging for easy storage.
The lack of cartoonish characters or designs, makes the headphones appealing to adults, while the available colors – black, white, pink, and blue – are still attractive to children. Because of the wireless Bluetooth feature, these headphones are priced at just under $50, but LilGadgets offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a one year warranty.
When it comes to volume control the Kidz Gear Wired Headphones are one of the best for under $30. The headset comes with a volume limit cable that keeps the sound at approximately 20dB lower than the maximum volume, no matter how high the sound is turned up.
The headband can be adjusted to comfortably fit a toddler or a teenager, and the soft cups cushion the ears and help reduce outside noise. The headset’s ability to work with iPads, iPods, iPhones, and most other popular audio and video devices makes it especially attractive.
Made with the same high quality sound and electrical components used to manufacture standard adult headphones, these headphones for kids provide excellent stereo quality and can be used with a variety of audio and video devices – from apple products to cell phones and hand-held video gaming devices.
The Kidz Gear Wired Headphones come in five fun, bright, attractive colors – pink, orange, blue, green, and purple. The headsets are 100% guaranteed and have a life time warranty.
JLab JBuddies Kids Volume Limiting Headphones are designed to provide a comfortable and safe listening experience for children even as young as two. These tough headphones are available in four kid-friendly colors: black, blue, pink, and purple.
They come with a variety of themed stickers for individualized customization. The built-in volume regulator keeps the volume below 90db, even with the easy to use volume knob turned all the way up. Built with spill resistant durable plastic, as well as hypoallergenic ear cushions, the fun and sporty headset is comfortable even on long trips.
They are compatible with any portable device with a standard 3.5mm jack – apple products, cellphones, laptops,portable DVD players, and various other gaming devices. Priced under $30, these headphones are a bargain and come with a limited one year warranty with JLab’s customer support service.